Before I start I’d like to begin with a great quote from Andy Rooney “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don’t clean it up too quickly!” That said in the run up to Christmas it is worth getting on top of a few things to allow you to enjoy and relax during the Christmas break.
- Declutter the living room to make way for the decorations. I usually wrap things in newspaper and pop them in a box in the loft when we get the decs down
- Book a professional oven clean. You wouldn’t want guests feeling put off their lunch because your oven is filthy!
- Clean your glasses that have been gathering dust since last year and polish away streaks
- Buff your special occasion cutlery and wash the dinner set
- Wash and press the table cloth and napkins if you use them
- Spruce up dusty decs in warm soapy water and leave to dry on a tea towel
- Buy a non drop tree such as a Nordman, the time you save from not having to clean up needles and pick them out of the carpet for the next few months is totally worth a few extra pounds!
- Don’t use snow spray on the windows – it is a nightmare to remove!
- Clean out the kitchen cupboards to make way for all the festive foods you’ll be stocking up on soon
- Defrost the freezer to make way for handy party food boxes that you can stock up on in case visitors swing by unannounced
Above all have a wonderful Christmas, relax and don’t let the Christmas day chaos get to you too much, it only comes round once a year after all!